Anna McGinley: Communication, 26′

On February 20, news broke out from the NCAA regarding new rulings for the upcoming season and beyond. There were six new rulings and with these rulings came with many controversial opinions. These rulings include:

• The ability for the players to wear more jewelry.
  • Referees are not allowed to use red cards on the home team if the spectators get too close to the players and the home team does nothing to help the issue.
  • Two liberos are now eligible to play in a game but they are not allowed to play at the same time. 
  • Disagreements with the referees must be resolved during the game. 
  • When a player interferes above the net, can be challenged by reviewing on video. 
  • Players may double contact with the ball on the team’s second contact with the ball, only if it was played to a teammate and not over the net. 

The majority of the controversy stems from the new ruling regarding double contact. For the non-volleyball spectators, double contact means a player can come in contact with the ball twice without a loss of the point. The controversy is predominantly due to the questioning if there is a true need for setters. Will the need for setters decrease when coaches are looking for recruits? What will happen to the setter for NCAA women’s volleyball?

Previously when double hits were not allowed in the game on the second chance, the setter’s would be called for double hits when their hands did not perfectly align with the ball. The referees were able to see a double hit due to the rotation of the ball.  This created countless hours, practices, and training to perfectly get their sets right without the ball spinning. When the referees called double hits, the team would lose the point. With these countless hours NCAA women’s volleyball players had to undergo to get their sets perfect and the ruling to change on them, creates a lot of players to speak out. 

The University of Illinois setter stated, “I think it does take away a little bit of the craft that setters have worked so hard to put in,” Mosher said. “Now, for it to just be taken away is a little bit not demoralizing, but it’s kind of like tough that it’s just gone. All that work that I put into that.”

The other ruling that has brought attention to the media is the ability to have two liberos on your roster for every game. Liberos are the players who stand out with a different color jersey, and signifies the best defensive back row player for a team. This rule allows for the opportunity to dress two players in the opposite jersey color. This rule positively affects the play of the game with substitutions. 

Substitutions usually occur when a defensive player, usually the libero, goes in the back row for a hitter. With this new rule, it will create more play for players on the bench for the substitutions. It will also help with the ability to maintain energy for the liberos during long sets and rally’s. WIth this, if one libero is physically tired after getting substituted out, the second libero can come in and relieve the other libero for the next substitution. 

The NCAA said, “The rationale for the proposal is to allow more players the opportunity to compete and to increase action and improve play.”

Not only have the athletes come out and spoke out regarding their opinion on these rulings, so have the spectators. Will these rulings change the way Volleyball is being played throughout the course of the future season? Will it stay the same? 

In my opinion, I do not think that these rulings will have a significant impact on the game. I do think the two contact rule could affect the future of setters being recruited into NCAA teams because I think the shift could be focusing on all around players and liberos. While players like Booke Mosher, her role on the team I believe will not alter due to this decision. Players like Mosher, have a real impact whenever they are on the court, with the two contact rule not only being for setters, i do not think the plays or the players time will have a major shift. With the ruling regarding the ability to have two liberos. I believe that this will play a factor into the recruiting process because of the significance of what a second libero could do to your team. I will be excited to see what the future of NCAA women’s volleyball has in store.